Friday, May 28, 2010

RailsConf and 10% Time

Whoa! Has it been 6 months since I last posted? So much for that resolution of blogging more. A couple of factors fed into that. I've been working a lot on some projects that don't really feed my interest enough to write about in my spare time. Also, I've just been a little lazy about it in general.

However, that's about to change! I am starting to do some things that I find very interesting, and I'm excited to explore it on this blog. First, I'm headed to RailsConf this week. I can't wait, it's been a dream of mine to go to RailsConf. I'll try to report daily from the conference, to run down the things I've learned and what I want to explore further. Unfortunately, I'm a little behind on my Rails work, so I wish I was a little more of a polished Ruby programmer heading into this. It will definitely be like jumping into the deep end of the pool. I'm very excited.

Also on the horizon. My employer, Dominion Digital, is starting to offer 10% time to employees. I am leading up this effort, so I am very excited to get this started. I'll write more about this later, but basically we have to ability to spend 10% of our workweek on projects of our choosing. Granted 10% is not a lot of time, but I hope to help make this a successful endeavor. Maybe with success, even increase the amount of time spent on these projects. We'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment